"One day at a time--this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering."

Ida Scott Taylor


Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Quiet Refreshment

Every now and then,
I will take a few hours away by myself
to refresh my mind, body and soul.
Quabache State Forest is less than a mile
from the town I live in. So 
this past weekend I went to one of my
favorite spots.
 
Hubby was busy studying for his classes
and watching football.
He can do both at the same time well,
or so he tells me. (he he)

I just love walking down the paths and
sitting in this little area to take in the beauty of
God's creation all around me.
It was indeed a very beautiful day!


When I am here I can loose all stress and 
bunched up thoughts in my head.  When we quiet
our minds, it is amazing at what
we see and hear
that we had not noticed before. 

How about you? How do you refresh
your mind, body and soul?

I had never noticed until this day
that geese will stand for a long period of
time on one leg.

Many of the geese were doing this.
  I'm not sure if they are sleeping or what?

Does anyone out there know why they do this?


 
 I just googled it! 
In case you're curious like me.
Birds’ legs have an adaptation called “rete mirabile” that minimizes heat loss. The arteries that transport warm blood into the legs lie in contact with the veins that return colder blood to the bird’s heart. The arteries warm the veins. By standing on one leg, a bird reduces by half the amount of heat lost through unfeathered limbs.

I always bring along my reading and writing materials.
I can hear God speaking to me
so easily out here
and I just 
have to write it all down.

Along with art and music,
writing is another favorite thing 
of mine that I love.. I've gone back and read
journal entries from years ago and have been blown
away by how many of my prayers, hopes and dreams 
 have come true since I first asked for them.

Sometimes we just plain forget or maybe
we just forget to believe that what we are hoping for
  and  asking for might come true!

I have have cried grateful tears many times when
I've reread and found that God answered
my prayers 
  which I prayed to Him back then.
  A journal is kind of like keeping
a Grateful List, without realizing you are doing so.


While I was reading I found this scripture verse
that jumped out with passion into my mind and heart.

"I run in the paths of your commands
for you have set my heart free."
Psalm 119:32

It didn't say I walk, it says I run down the path that
God has given me, because my heart is free.
 Free with no baggage clinging to my backside to hold me back!
Isn't that wonderful?  
When we just decide to
"let go" 
of all of that baggage
such as fear, worry, unforgiveness etc... 
then we will run the greatest race of our lives~
straight down the path to the
dreams God has placed in our hearts!
And when we are running down that path, it also
affects others who are watching and it inspires them
to join in on what
  God has planned for them too.
  
I really want to know what refreshes you?
What do you do for yourself to rejuvenate?  

 I hope you get to take some time out to 
find your perfect spot....
.....to do something for YOU
  ...to renew your passions.
Because it really does make a Big difference.

Gotta go get my running clothes on!!!
 


14 comments:

Mary said...

Good morning sweetie. It is such a good thing, reading older journal entries. We see God has been at work all along. It's easy to miss in the dailies isn't it?

The mountains refresh me like no other. The crispness of the air, and the smell, so different than anywhere else. I'll be heading there three separate times this fall. Such a treat.

Lee Ann, thank you for your insights, encouragement, and love.
I treasure our friendship.

Oh, and thanks for the bird facts! :) God equips each of us in amazing ways!

Rachel said...

What a beautiful post! There is nothing better than some time of solitude with our Awesome God!
That verse (Psalm 119:32) is perfect! Isn't it wonderful how the Bible is living and active? The same words I know my eyes have past over, but I never "heard" them until today. Thank you for your inspiring words and verse! Have a wonderful day LeeAnn!
xoxo, Rachel

Tina said...

hmmmm, I think what refreshes me is what I'm going to do today. Clean the environment. Clear clutter and rearrange. I like it when it's all done. The other thing of course is sitting down and just painting. I do like to walk and I do journal but not consistantly. I like the idea of looking back and seeing how God has answered prayers.
Thanks, loved this post and the info on those funny geese too
T

Farmgirl Paints said...

I love that you write your prayers and thoughts down. What a great idea. To be able to look back and see all that HE has done...what a blessing indeed. No wonder you find so much enjoyment in that.

I find refreshment in just stopping. It may be for 5 or 10 minutes, but just going out on my back porch swing and doing nothing...really speaks to me. Love ya girl. Hope you have a beautiful day in your neck of the woods:)

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Love this because my blogging world came alive when I did a week of posts on re-energizing! I was being obedient to the Lord and He was faithful to bring me into a season of re-energizing after so very big losses....this post reminds me of what I learned.

I too need to just go and walk around a duck pond, spend time in nature...by myself...I seem to always make the excuse that I can't..and I need to.

This spoke to me the most from your post

And when we are running down that path, it also
affects others who are watching and it inspires them
to join in on what
God has planned for them too.

That is what you do with your blog...now I need to write some of this down...thanks for the encouraging words! Love you work!

Jennifer Richardson said...

Mmmmmmmmmm
...I got to sit down on that
waterside bench too, just by reading
your post. And I rested and dreamed
and breathed in deep and soaked in
the peace because you did and then
shared it with us.
Love how that works.
I'm learning to take those little
moments to myself that I didn't even
recognize as "take-able" years ago.
Small pulses in time that can refresh me like a vacation or get-away.
That's one reason I so love coming to visit you and my other blogger buddies.
Everyone creates such a beautiful place for the others to rest awhile:)
-Jennifer

Tricia said...

What a lovely post Lee Ann. I just love reading your words. I love how you talk about enjoying your surrounds...the sights, the smells, the sounds of the outdoors. I find that refreshing too. I need quiet time for reflecting and thinking.

Best wishes for a wonderful day :)

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous place to sit and contemplate life and God! I just stopped by to tell you thank you so much for your kind words about my blog and my Mom. People like you are the reason I blog. I appreciate your comment more than you know. I am following you back, not just because of the comment, but because of your encouraging blog. You seem like someone I would love to sit and have coffee with! I look forward to reading more...

~Lanie J.

jgr said...

Oh such an inspiring post. And what a beautiful setting you have! Thank you for the bird fact, too
it's good to know these things. I'm like Mary: My favorite place is the mountains (luckily they are nearby).

Anne said...

Hi! I saw you over at Kat's blog. What a sweet blog you have here. I am so glad I came by. I hope you will join me soon.

God is busy at work constantly and we need to stop and look at His handiwork don't we? I hope you will have a lovely week.
Anne

MFEO2009 said...

Love this post and your page. Encouragement is contagious :) So I left you a blog award on my page.
Have a great night.

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I can't even remember how I found your blog but I'm glad I did! Your post was really uplifting (your encouragement certainly is contagious).

And what pretty writing you have. Oh, to have writing like that! I think I would write allday just for the fun of it!

I go to the back of our garden when I want to be on my own and pray. We have a swing seat there and the only sound you can hear is the birds singing (unless my children are arguing really loudly!!). It's very restful and I always come back to 'normal life' feeling so refreshed.

Do pop by to Modern Country Style. I'd love to see you there.

Unknown said...

Loves your post...I guess that it is because...I am needing a little renurishment and some creative motivation. Hummmm.. how do I?
I will have to meditate on that! Dear God It's me Deborh....Time to be still and listen...Thanks Lee Ann for your gentle reminder..Every now and again we need to refresh our Heart, Mind, and Spirit...

Anonymous said...

Great post and love the verse. I don't know lately how I refresh myself...my mind? I'd say it depends on the day. Last weekend I had a day with my sister and we laughed about goofy stuff...that's always good. Thanks again for all the positive vibes!