"One day at a time--this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering."

Ida Scott Taylor


Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Living Fully Right Where You Are Now

It really has been a long time since my last post.  
A few weeks ago, I injured my back
and didn't realize it until after
sitting at the computer, and
upon trying to stand, I could not get up.
My back
stubbornly said
"No, you must crawl to the next room."  

 Photo courtesy of Country Living

 
After some pampering, ice packs
and resting, my back is better and
I'm even back to my routine exercise walking again.
 But that is why, my friends
that I just haven't sat long at the computer 
to visit
with you lately. 
I've missed Y♥U.

I want to share with you
about an awesome book I am reading.

ONE Thousand Gifts
One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are 

It's all about "eucharisteo" 
(the Greek word for giving thanks)
Through tragedy and loss in the author Ann's life as 
a child, and the pain and disappointment she
carried,  followed her into
  her adult years. This brought her to the place 
of searching for true JOY and how to
live the fullest life that God wants to give us.


"Thanksgiving is the evidence of our acceptance of whatever He gives.  Thanksgiving is the manifestation of our YES! to His grace.”
                                                                  Ann Voskamp 
She found the secret,
to understanding how to have this real JOY
and it was in learning
how to be thankful whether empty or full...
(each day)  and that ......


"eucharisteo (giving thanks) always precedes the miracle."
                                                     Ann VosKamp


I've been on the sad side of things lately.  It's not any one thing.
I think I'm already panicking about the sun shining
less as fall approaches and then winter.
  And I've been in a creative lull...and...and..and..
on and on.
  I need to change things up a bit.


So I decided to start my own 1000 gifts list.
I started it today and will be sharing some of
the things I love that are right in front of me.
 Things that I'm thankful for. 
I am going to follow my friend Becky's lead
and add them at the bottom of my blog posts until
I hit 1000. 

You can join me anytime if you want.
  I would love to hear 
what things you love and are thankful for 
that are right in front of you.
So always feel free to share if you'd like.
And know that YOU are on my thankful list.

Have a wonderful week my friends!


1.  Ann VosKamp and her book- One Thousand Gifts
2.  the beautiful day God provided outside
3.  a phone call from my daughter
4.  the smell of pine from the pine tree
5.  a good night's rest
6.  morning sunshine casting happy shadows through the house
7.  my uni-ball waterproof ink pen
8.  my journal and a new page to write in
9.  my hubby who works so hard to provide for us
10. my blogging friends

19 comments:

Tricia said...

Oh, Lee Ann that's awful about your back...ouch. I'm glad to hear you're on the mend. I've been reading the One Thousand Gifts book too on and off. I don't know...I just don't love the way she writes...I love the message though. I just started the book Heaven by Randy Alcorn. One of my wonderful blog friends recommended it to me after my kitty died since it has a section in there about animals.

I see a lot of people doing those thankful lists on their blogs. I just love that...it turns the focus of our thoughts to the positive.

Hope you have a good week :)

Mary said...

i was thinking about you yesterday, and this morning i see a post... (i really was going to email you) :)

i am sorry you hurt your back, it makes doing just about anything hard.

i have read Ann's book. I understand A Rosy Note's comment. i love how Ann writes, but i have to read it in small doses to savor each word. seems like each word is full of meaning and i can't take it all in at once.

there is a reason God tells us to give thanks for everything...and being content...it is a learned thing, it does not come naturally to any of us. i am still working on both with God's help.

love you Lee Ann, and praying for complete healing.

Farmgirl Paints said...

YAY!! Love your list sweet friend. That first picture makes my senses come alive. Makes me want to curl up and enjoy the crisp outdoors, listen to the critters and fully relax and enjoy my day.

Take care of yourself. My honey just got over a bad back issue and it was awful!

Anonymous said...

I am thankful that your back is healing and you are able to do the things you love. I am thankful for your blog and always enjoy your posts and believe that your posts come in God's time. I am thankful for my 15 month old goddaughter and how she shows such excitement and newness at every ordinary thing.....

Jlynn

Anonymous said...

I think these grateful gifts are such a great thing! And I am sure that the author of the book feels the same! :)

I'm so sorry to hear about your back! Mine has done that to me before as well. It's terrible! Feel Better and keep reading that book!

I'm not sure I'm ready for winter either!!!

Nana's Nuggets said...

HI! Lee Ann, hope this does find you feeling better! Those back problems are not fun:(...but about the book, I just bought it also, have not started it..anxious to get to it, I just love those 1000 gift thoughts. Have a great day, and Happy:) to hear from You!

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

Lee Ann, you've been missed and I'm very glad you are back up and running, no pun intended :-)
Truly there is nothing like hardship to point the way towards a deeper joy that moves us beyond the limits of the world we occupy. Great start on that joy list :-)

Jackie said...

Lee Ann...so sorry about your back but glad you're on the mend. I too, love Ann Voskamp's book. I'm getting ready to read it again. I started a 1000 blessings list a long time ago on my blog and and I need to pick up where I left off and start again...thanks for the reminder.

Glad to see you back.
Jackie

Lesley Edmonds said...

I am so glad that you are making a good recovery from your back problem Leeann and that is what I am thankful for today - along with the fact that we have clear blue skies and sunshine for the first time in weeks.
x

Legacy of a Single Girl said...

I'm so sorry about your back! I have back trouble and I know how it upsets every part of your daily routine! I have to say that this post is a gift from God to me because of my struggles lately (if you read my post yesterday you'll see), so you coming back today was a plan by His Highness just for me. Thank you Lee Ann. Thank you Lord.

Unknown said...

LOVE. The give thanks list. I smiled at your uni-ball pen.
Thanks so much for taking the time to visit over at Blue Skies-it's much appreciated!
Looking forward to hearing more gratitude.
xo
lynn

Denise said...

Hi Lee Ann,

So glad to hear that your back is on the mend! :)

I have to mentally prepare myself for the shorter days and approaching colder weather too; but your post title is exactly the attitude we need for the changing season! :)

I have been reading and enjoying1000 Gifts too; great idea to start your list of thankful gifts. :)

Blessings and love,
Denise

Jennifer Richardson said...

sending love and prayers
to that beautiful back of yours
....joy and strength infuse it
with light and life that lifts
and soothes every cell:)
And I'm loving your gratitude
...beautiful in every way.
I'm grateful for YOU!
-Jennifer

rachel awes said...

sending love to your
right nowness,
to your spine,
to your thankful heart,
+ lit bright light
to cover it all
xo

Chris Graham said...

Lee Ann I am so glad you are doing better!!! I read A Thousand Gifts and it changed my life. I carry a journal with my most of the time to capture the little things in life. She also has a beautiful website. Take care dear lady!
I have been through so many hurdles lately and the attitude of gratitude helps me over them.

Nancy said...

Sweet Girl, I am so sorry that you have been down with your back.....I am praying that it will heal fast so you can be back to all the things you love to do....

Thank you so much for your email and your sweet comments....They meant so much to me and encouraged me more than you will ever know.....

I know what you mean about the winter coming....I keep telling myself it just gives me more night time to knit and spin but I do love the long days of summer....

I too have read "One Thousand Gifts"...It's an amazing book and has really changed the way I look at things mainly be more thankful and complaining less....I think it's a book one has to reread over and over to savor each word.......

Big hugs to you my friend,
Nancy

Kathy said...

After taking a bit of a break from posting and reading posts, I realized this morning what I'd been missing...Melancholy feelings shifted into pleasantries after reading your words...Gratefulness is the essence of God's presence. Joy is restored. K

Kaitlin@Homemaker Design said...

Hi, I actually just blog hopped over from Becky`s - I saw your name in the comments and thought I would come have a look! :) Immediately I LOVED your header!! That is a beautiful painting! :) I like the whole look and feel of your blog. I am sorry your back is hurt! :( That really is no fun! Anyways, I`m sure I will be back, hopefully (and prayerfully) you`ll be feeling better real soon!

katie purcell said...

Glad you are better. I also loved Ann Voscamps book.
I have been following your blog through sweet Mary Freeman's blog.
She is a dear.