"One day at a time--this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering."

Ida Scott Taylor


Thursday, April 15, 2010

Name My Flower Bandit


My tulips are just about ready to bloom and 
I get so excited seeing something I've planted
the year before actually produce 
a flower.  I say this because ....


...in the past two years, just when my tulip flower 
buds were about to open, this little critter
decided to make them his dinner!


I've tried sprinkling red pepper flakes around
the plants, as someone suggested, but
this little guy must wear shoes because it didn't 
make one bit of difference in keeping him away. 
I think I should name this little guy, because
I am certain he is the same squirrel 
every year that comes around
to frustrate 
the daylights out of me!
I sure hope in the next few days, that I get
to see my tulips bloom. 
 If I don't, you may hear me screaming.....
Can you feel my frustration?

Any suggestions?
 How do you keep critters away from your flower beds?

Oh and if you think of
 a good name for my bandit,
 please let me know in the comment section.
 I will come up with a prize for whoever
comes up with the best name.

I think I'm gonna camp out in my flower bed tonight!


9 comments:

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

Well now that is a unique problem to be having with tulips! My only thought to keeping from snitching your tulips was to provide him with lots of alternative food to lug away, peanuts anyone :-) As for a name, I think you've already named him well, Bandit.

Tina said...

Oh how I adore tulips
Have a blessed weekend
T

~marci~ said...

I think you named him already..."Bandit"

Martha Lever said...

Yes, Bandit it is!!! What a cute picture though. They are pesky little critters but they are pretty cute. And yes, that was a black Micron...actually I think I used the G-tek which was also black.

Mary said...

Well Bandit is a good name, although I would probably call him Little S...! :) That is the funniest picture!!

I love tulips, they do not grow well here. They come up the first year okay, but they do not in successive years!! I think they need a cold winter.

LeeAnn@Encouragement Is Contagious said...

You crack me up Mary! I thought of that name too a few times when the squirrel has looked me in the eye and grinned.

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

I wish I could offer some good advice. I have critters eating a lot of my beautiful plants, too.

Your picture is such fun. I enjoy your sense of humor. :-)

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

Just have to ask, how are your tulips doing, did they survive the Bandit? I hope so :-)
Thank you for your many encouragements I so appreciate the supportive atmosphere found among art journalers. Does the heart good :-)

LeeAnn@Encouragement Is Contagious said...

Bren,
This year my tulips have bloomed!!! I should have taken a picture for you. The ornery squirrel didn't bother them. (although out of one set of 6 plants, only 2 came back, but that isn't the squirrels fault, unless he dug up the bulbs earlier)
Thanks for asking.

Lee Ann