"One day at a time--this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering."

Ida Scott Taylor


Tuesday, January 19, 2010

HOPE Can Come In Small Packages

It would be so easy to give in to feelings of depression with all of the tragedy we are seeing in Haiti and with the economy costing people their jobs, and with so many marriages in trouble, etc.... The depressing list could go on and on.  The wonderful thing is that WE can make a difference, by encouraging one another. It may be that we can go and sit with a friend who needs someone to listen, or leave some groceries anonymously on a doorstep of someone who has lost their job. Possibly we are able to give financially to help those who are in desperate need. 


****************************



Some years ago, my husband's business had been downsized and he lost his job and I was very ill and in the hospital.  It was a very depressing time because we didn't know how we were going to continue feeding our family or make our house payments etc... I remember my sister giving me words of HOPE when she hugged me with a smile and said, "Lee Ann, don't worry. The worst that can happen is you can all move in with us!" Well, that never had to happen, but her beautiful encouraging and sincere words gave me HOPE that day. The hope we desperately needed at the time. God worked in such miraculous ways to provide for us through it all, and He used people to do it.. We kept a journal of all the ways God provided for us and when it was all said and done, the price on those things made it seem as if our finances had never been downsized. God truly did a miracle in our lives and our Faith was enlarged.  Don't underestimate what God can do through YOU no matter how small it is.  Your words of encouragement, just as my sister gave me, could be what gives HOPE where it is needed to make it through.

"He has blessed us by carrying our heaviest burdens
 so that we might lighten the load of those around us."

Phil Ware


"Carry each other's burdens and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ."

Galatians 6:2
 

With lots of HOPE,




6 comments:

Jeanne Oliver said...

Beautiful post and your life is an example of the Lord blessing you through other people.

Anonymous said...

Hi LeeAnn,
Yes, it is so important to be an "encourager".. in all things.
This time in our lives, our world is filled with tradgedy..
So sad, filled with wondering whys..
The songs answers it well.
Thank you for sharing,
Hugs, Darlene
Jesus love you!

Mary said...

So true LeeAnn, we so need each other. God himself is community, we were never meant to travel this journey alone. I sometimes wonder if that is why coffee houses do so well. We don't pop in and out of neighbors homes to say hello and grab coffee and chat like our mothers and fathers generation did. And even though they might not know anyone in them, they are not alone!!

You have been one of those encouragers to me!
Thank You!

Tina said...

LeeAnn,
I'm so excited that you visited my blog and found me. The Lord has used you in an amazing way to encourage me today. Thank You and I love that Mandisa song and I know that God IS with us.
I'm going to add you to my regular blog roll. God bless,
T

Rachel said...

Leann, what a wonderful post! Thank you for sharing this story and how God blessed you with words of hope from your sister. I love that you kept a journal and were able to look back on the blessings God provided in that time. Wow!

Farmgirl Paints said...

God is soooo good! What an uplifting post.